Open to: Internal and External
Reference No.: VN/ID10/2016/066
Position Title: National ASEAN Affairs Support Officer
Duty Station: Jakarta
Classification: National Officer, Grade NO-A
Base Salary: IDR 26,549,917.- per month
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension (the first three months shall be considered as probation period)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 October 2016
IOM has been strengthening in recent years its cooperation with the ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC) and ASEAN Member States on several migration-related issues, with a focus on human trafficking and labor migration. However, enhanced integration brings about a lot of untapped opportunities for cooperation including in the field of migration management, which IOM, as the leading agency for migration, is keen to further explore and support.
In light of ASEAN’s expected need to address ever growing and increasingly more diversified migration-related challenges, there is a significant value in stepping up IOM’s exposure and visibility to ASEAN. The IOM Regional Office for Asia-Pacific is currently working on re-shaping IOM’s overall strategy to ASEAN, including through redefining IOM’s added value role to respond to ASEAN migratory priority issues. In this regard, the ASEAN Affairs Support Officer position will play an important role in strengthening IOM’s liaison with ASEAN, guiding IOM’s cooperation approach with ASEAN and positioning IOM as a strategic ASEAN partner in the field of migration management.
The ASEAN Affairs Support Officer will be based at IOM Jakarta, Indonesia, and will work under the direct supervision of IOM Indonesia Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the Senior Regional Policy and Liaison Officer at the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok, Thailand (ROAP).
II. CORE FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Closely monitor ASEAN activity agenda (e.g. ministerial meetings, senior official meetings, thematic group workshops, etc.); regularly inform ROAP and Country Offices on upcoming events; attend relevant meetings and events and report on outcomes as deemed relevant and strategic to IOM mandate and its activities along ASEAN’s Vision 2025 and SDG implementation.
- Support the COM in establishing and maintaining liaison with Jakarta-based ASEC, ASEAN’s Committee of the Permanent Representatives, ASEAN Dialogue Partners and other relevant stakeholders; and report on outcomes of bilateral meetings as deemed relevant and strategic to IOM mandate and its activities.
- Provide input and strategic advice to CoM and ROAP on IOM’s cooperation approach with ASEAN based on information obtained from Jakarta-based ASEAN stakeholders or other sources.
- Assist in compiling or developing information products on IOM’s activities and ensure timely dissemination of such products whenever requested by ASEC, AMS representatives or any other Jakarta-based stakeholders;
- Coordinate IOM’s input to ASEAN on migration-related priority issues by seeking advice and input from ROAP and Country Offices; prepare and disseminate regular internal updates in coordination with the ROAP.
- Support establishing and maintaining liaison with donors, diplomatic missions and multi-lateral development partners in view of identifying potential sources of funding and/or opportunities for partnerships in relation to ASEAN.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals with an ASEAN coverage, and ensure proper reflection of ASEAN as well as donor’ priorities, together with all involved Country Offices and ROAP Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs).
- Undertake duty travel as required for the performance of the above tasks.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
III. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Political, Law, Social Science, International Relations, Social Work, Public or Business Administration, with relevant professional experience, or;
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Good knowledge of, and experience on policy monitoring and advocacy, stakeholder liaison/networking, or project development.
- Knowledge on ASEAN policy framework and structure advantageous.
- Experience in coordinating with ASEAN Secretary or ASEAN Member States, or other governmental and international organizations as a regular part of daily duties.
- Effective organizational skill and ability to establish priorities and plans, ability to work under pressure and cope with deadlines.
- Proficient in computer applications.
- Good written and spoken communications skills, good interpersonal skills, high loyalty, ability to work in a multi - cultural environment and good working in team.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports in English.
- Ability to work independently and within a team from varied culture and professional background.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required.
IV. REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
a) Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly; d) Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) Displays mastery of subject matter; g) Contributes to a collegial team environment; h) Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; i) Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; j) Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global and political context
- Represents IOM in high-level interactions with clients
- Correctly interacts with and advises on interfacing with senior level stakeholders as appropriate
- Develops effective partnerships with prospective donors and other stakeholders
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with implementing partners
- Identifies long-term trends and global political developments that can impact on the core mandates and their executions
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, security clearance and verification of education certificate.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in ENGLISH, with:
- Cover letter, clearly specify suitability and availability date,
- Complete the Personal History Form which can be downloaded at the following link: http://indonesia.iom.int/sites/default/files/Personal%20History%20Form.xls
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including historical salary and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
Please submit your application by clicking " APPLY NOW" button below. The deadline for applications is 11 October 2016.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered